[ my new fave pic :} ]- WARNING! Lots of slideshows! And the pics in
the slideshow aren't in order. Ohwell.
Hope you enjoy anyways! -
Well last we visited we [us] were site seeing
around Oahu. Well since then we've done
more of that!
It's been great :)
So Thursday we went to the Polynesian
Cultural Center and the Laie Temple.
So we started our day heading up through
the North Shore. The first thing on our list
was the shrimp trucks.
They're big time here - and they're always
recommended.
We did find them - but think we picked the
wrong truck. I liked mine [coconut fried shrimp -
Lorraine got the same thing - but it wasn't her
fave] and the boys thought their's were okay
[they both ordered the garlic shrimp].
They're shrimp still had the little legs and
shell on. Which - umm - would have ruined
it for me.
So after shrimp we went to the Temple. It's
still closed for renovation. We found out that
it was the 5th Temple dedicated by the church.
Which was very surprising to me! It was
dedicated in 1919 and is only on it's third
renovation - which happens to be it's most
extensive renovation. Crazy - 3rd renovation
is 90 years! It's held up pretty well I guess :)


So next we headed to the Polynesian Cultural
Center. We got there around 1 and stayed
the rest of the day.
It was cool. Definitely worth checking out -
but I wouldn't recommend staying the whole
day! Especially on a hot day. We watched the
Rainbows of Paradise which was pretty neat.
One of the guys took a fall into the water -
which is always enjoyable! But I'm sure
embarrassing :}
We paid for the Luau - which is something
I wouldn't recommend for the price.
It was fine - but not worth the money
basically. So if we go again - we'd opt out
of that.
They had some pretty entertaining shows
going on [this was earlier in the day].
The consensus on faves would be the
Tongan and Samoan shows. Funny funny!!
And we also thought the Hawaii show was
pretty good.
We saw an earlier, earlier show where
they did palm tree climbing as well as
showing how to make fire and how to open
a coconut - then how to get the milk out.
So the MOST enjoyable part was the
Horizons show in the evening. It was
AWESOME! The Tahitians and the
fire dancers were SO good! If you go - make
sure you go see it.
The last few days I've come to realize
Dmitri is too friendly. While we were watching
the show - Lorraine was holding him, then
he wanted Steve to hold him, then Daniel
and then me. Then he turns to the lady next
to me and holds his arms out for her to hold
him. Luckily she wasn't paying attention -
cause I think I'd be a little uneasy if she accepted.


Anywhos - the next day [Friday] we went to
Pearl Harbor. I had been there before [in 2001]
so there was a lot I didn't remember. So I
enjoyed this visit.
We went and looked at the other exhibits
and then to see the USS Arizona Memorial.
Dmitri did pretty good. He wasn't in to sitting
through the movie - so luckily we were in the
back row - and they had a lot of space in the
very back for him to crawl around.
He did really well on the boat. He got a window
view on the way back and had a great time
watching the waves coming off the boat.
So he enjoyed his first boat ride :)
While we were waiting for the return boat,
there was an elderly man from China. He had
a good time talking with Dmitri. Even with
the language barrier :) He told Daniel he was
72 - and took a pic of Dmitri on Daniel's shoulders.
While Daniel was holding Dmitri and talking
with the man - Dmitri reached for him to hold
him! So the man obligued and thought it
was the greatest thing! His wife took some
pics of the two of them. It was cute - but
yea - Dmitri's too friendly for his own good.
I paniced for a second at one point cause it
looked like they might pass him around.
But luckily they didn't! :]


Well that evening we decided to get some
trial snorkeling in. We found a beach that
was a prime snorkeling location. Steve and
Lorraine have been before - but Daniel and
I have not. I of course - was very cautious.
Daniel on the other hand - jumped right in.
But he had a great time and saw a ton of
fish! I stayed closer to shore - but still saw
a good amount of fish! :)


So Saturday we woke up pretty early and
headed out to Hanauma Bay. We heard it's
best to go early - because later in the day
the water gets a bit murky from all the snorkelers
stirring up the sand.
So we got there around 8 and had to watch a
kick [corny] video before we were allowed
to go down into the bay.
Okay - it was GORGEOUS! I could lay on
that beach forever. It was awesome.
Daniel and Steve went out first. And then
I went out for little bit while Lorraine was
kind enough to watch Dmitri.
Oh my - it was soooo AWESOME!
If you ever get the chance to snorkel -
do it!
It was seriously amazing. Like I could have
stayed there all day.
We didn't last all day though - but we did stay
for almost 5 hours and walked away with
'slight' sunburns.
But yea - we saw a lot of fish.
Steve and Lorraine went out - then Daniel
and I went out. Dmitri slept most of the trip.
There were these awesome rainbow fish.
They're called Christmas Wrasse[s]
There was a HUGE one! It was like 2feet long.
Seriously - I had the best time.
I got a war wound though. I guess the coral
cut my arm. But I totally didn't notice until
we got out of the water and it was bleeding.
It cut through quite a few layers of skin!
But it's healing - and I live to tell the tale :)
After snorkeling we drove up the Pali Lookout.
Again - awesome! It was a little chilly up there.
It felt like fall - so I loved that :]


Saturday evening Steve and Lorraine watched
Dmitri while Daniel and I went to see Star Trek.
Go see it - it was fab!
We got popcorn, drinks and snacks - so that
was special for us :]
Sunday we went to The Valley of Temples.
It was neat - but I was expecting more.
But still - neat. And I got to ring the bell :)
I was bummed we didn't see any peacocks though :[
Sunday night we went out to the west side
to catch the sunset. We drove up through
Wainiae until we couldn't go any further. The
beach was so pretty - but had some killer
waves! Of course the boys thought it would
be fun to play in them. And got knocked over
a few times. HA HA!


But I loved the sand! It had sea glass and sea shells
all in it.
Steve and Lorraine had a good time building
a sand dragon/alligator - and Daniel and
Dmitri had a good time running from the
waves :)
So it was a good time had by all!
Today Daniel had a class to prep him for
the new floor he'll be on.
So the rest of us spent the morning and
afternoon checking out the Outlets and
getting some last minute souvenirs.
Steve and Lorraine flew out tonight.
We're sad to see them go :'[
It's kind of lonely going back to just
the 3 of us. And Dmitri loved having
them here too!
But hopefully we'll see them again soon!
They are welcome back whenever they
like!! :D
Love you guys!




it looks like you guys had lots of fun, and are REALLY busy. oh hawaii......
ReplyDeleteandrew is the same way, very friendly. whenever anyone gives him attention (and if we are holding him), he stretches his arms out, and has this look on his face like, please hold me too!!
Hi! I was "blog-stalking" my friends' lists and came across your blog. I actually used to work with Daniel back in the day at PMI. What a cute family you 3 are!! And Hawaii - lucky!
ReplyDeleteDo you mind if I ask what camera you use, you are a great photographer and take the most AMAZING pics!!!
Hey Julie! I think I remember meeting you a few times. I hope all is going well with you!
ReplyDeleteThanks about my pics! I have a Canon PowerShot S5IS. It's been good to me - but I hope to get a Digital SLR one of these days!
I'm still learning how to use my camera - and I've had it for 2 years! :)
wow! thanks for being so tourist-y for all of us! GREAT PICS!
ReplyDelete